Easy Hot Cross Buns using this easy dough from my Bagel Recipe. No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer. Bake them in the oven or in the air-fryer!
Hot Cross Buns
Serve them Easter morning with some hard boiled eggs and fruit! More sweet brunch additions I love are No-bake Strawberries and Cream Crepe Cake, Honey lemon Bars, and Chocolate Drizzled Coconut Macaroons.
Confession, I have never had a hot cross bun, although I did play it on my recorder in grade school! But I looked at several recipes and noticed the dough was pretty similar to my bagel dough, with the addition of raisins, cinnamon and a glaze on top. I tested them out keeping the sugar on the lighter side, since the glaze on top adds more sweetness and we loved them. I guess you can call them bagel cross buns, if you wish!
How To Make Easy Hot Cross Buns
Tips for perfect hot cross buns:
- Use a silpat or parchment paper sprayed with oil to prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Bake them on the top rack so they don’t brown too much on the bottom.
- Greek yogurt instead of plain is a must, if there’s any liquid in the yogurt be sure to drain it. I tested with Fage and Stonyfield Greek, both worked great. Chobani has been giving people sticky dough, so I would stay away from that brand for this recipe.
- If your dough is sticky add more flour or use less yogurt.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make more. You can also half or…