1 Spore-based probiotics may repopulate your gut more effectively with healthy bacteria after taking antibiotics because they:
- Contain a wider array of bacterial strains than other probiotics
- Contain greater amounts of healthy live bacteria than other probiotics
- Contain fungi, not bacteria, and therefore are unaffected by antibiotics
- Do not contain live bacterial strains and therefore cannot be killed by antibiotics
Spore-based probiotics do not contain any live Bacillus strains, only its spores, which means antibiotics cannot kill them. Sporebiotics may therefore be able to reestablish your gut microbiome more effectively than regular probiotics when taken in conjunction with antibiotics. Learn more.
2 The Innate® potato has been genetically modified using RNA interference in order to:
- Prevent spotting and bruising when cut
The Innate® potato has been modified using RNA interference (RNAi) technology to inhibit blackspot bruising and browning by reducing levels of asparagine and certain enzymes in the potato. Learn more.
- Make the potatoes 50 percent larger
- Make the potatoes pesticide-resistant
- Make the potatoes 20 percent sweeter
3 Compared to smoking traditional cigarettes, research suggests vaping is:
- Completely harmless
- Just as dangerous and addictive
Mounting research also shows e-cigs are just as hazardous to your health as traditional cigarettes, inducing signs of cardiovascular disease and lung damage similar to that found in cigarette smokers. Learn more.
- Much safer
- Less addictive
4 A sleep-induction method developed by the U.S. military that claims to have a 96 percent success rate centers around the following strategy:
- Preparing your body for sleep by vigorously exercising right before bed
- Preparing your body for sleep by avoiding exertion for at least four hours before bed
- Preparing for sleep by deeply relaxing your body for two minutes
A sleep-induction method developed by the U.S. military claims to have a 96 percent success rate after six weeks of consistent implementation. The method centers around preparing your mind and body for sleep by deeply relaxing for about two minutes. Learn more.
- Preparing your body for sleep by avoiding napping during the day and taking a hot shower at night
5 Research shows there’s a strong link between cognitive health and:
- Aerobic fitness
- Endurance capacity
- Grip strength
- Muscle strength, especially leg muscle strength
Strength training benefits your brain. In fact, there’s a strong link between muscle strength — especially leg strength — and cognitive health. Learn more.
6 Which marine species population is being decimated due to Asia’s demand for a certain delicacy?
Sharks are being decimated due to demand for shark fins, used in shark fin soup — a delicacy that costs up to a $100 per bowl and is considered a symbol of wealth and status in cities such as Tokyo. Learn more.
- Sea cucumbers
7 Homeopathy is based on the law known as:
- The law of attraction
- The law of similars
The principles of homeopathy were originally developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician to the Royal family, and are based in the law of similars, also known as “like cures like.” Learn more.
- The law of dissimilars
- The law of thirds