1 Which of the following strategies has been shown to reduce a woman’s risk of breast cancer by more than 80 percent?
- Getting an annual mammogram
- Raising your vitamin D to a level between 60 and 80 ng/mL
Research shows having a vitamin D blood level above 60 ng/mL lowers your risk of breast cancer by more than 80 percent, compared to having a level below 20 ng/mL. Most cancers occur in people with a vitamin D blood level between 10 and 40 ng/mL, and the optimal level for cancer protection has been identified as being between 60 and 80 ng/mL. Learn more.
- Biannual mammogram with CAD (computer-assisted diagnosis)
- Getting an annual thermography scan
2 Recent animal research shows all artificial sweeteners currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are:
- Nourishing for beneficial gut bacteria
- More effective for weight loss than glucose or fructose
- Toxic to gut bacteria
Animal research shows all artificial sweeteners currently approved and deemed safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are toxic to gut bacteria and interfere with their normal and healthy activity. Learn more.
- A safe and effective sugar alternative for diabetics
3 Recent research shows your appendix serves the following function in your body:
- None — the appendix has no known function
- The appendix aids the gallbladder by dissolving hard-to-digest foods
- The appendix aids digestion by secreting digestive enzymes
- The appendix acts as a reservoir for beneficial bacteria, helping to repopulate your intestines with probiotics after an infection
With the help of white blood cells known as innate lymphoid cells, the appendix acts as a reservoir for beneficial bacteria. Once your body has successfully fought and rid itself of a gut infection, the bacteria emerge from the biofilm of the appendix to recolonize your intestines. Learn more.
4 Which of the following compounds has been shown to play an important role in the regulation of inflammation in your brain?
The cannabinoid receptor that which produces the “high” in response to THC in marijuana, also helps regulate inflammatory reactions in your brain. With age, your natural production of endocannabinoids decreases, leading to impaired immune response regulation and chronic inflammation. Learn more.
5 After analyzing surveys involving 1.9 million participants representing 168 countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) concluded more than 1.4 billion adults worldwide are at risk of:
- Insect-borne illnesses transmitted by flies and mosquitoes
- Developing or exacerbating diseases linked to inactivity
Given the fact 1 in 4 adults does not perform the recommended amount of weekly exercise, the study authors suggest nonexercisers are putting themselves at increased risk of chronic diseases linked to inactivity. Learn more.
- Antibiotic resistance
- Substance abuse
6 Which herbicide is the most widely used in the world?
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)
Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide in the world. Globally, nearly 5 billion pounds (over 2 billion kilograms) of glyphosate are applied to farm crops each year. Learn more.
7 Which of the following has recently been found to have powerful therapeutic benefits by improving redox status and activation of the Nrf2 pathway?
Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a gas with very unique and selective antioxidant effects that specifically target the most harmful free radicals. It works primarily by improving and optimizing the redox status of the cell when needed. Learn more.