1 To reap optimal health benefits, which of the following omega-3 sources is the best?
- Omega-3-rich plant foods such as flaxseed, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, walnuts and leafy greens
- Fish oil supplements
- Krill oil supplements
- Small, fatty fish such as sardines, anchovies and herring
The health benefits of DHA and EPA are well-established. However, this research refers to fish consumption only. A number of studies have failed to find benefit when studying the effects of fish oil supplements. Reasons for such poor results include studying dosage rather than omega-3 blood levels, and the fact that most fish oil supplements contain a poorly absorbed form of DHA and EPA. Learn more.
2 Silver dental fillings (dental amalgam) consist primarily of what metal?
So-called “silver” dental fillings are actually mercury fillings; about half of it is mercury, a neurotoxic heavy metal. Learn more.
3 Which of the following is the greatest contributor to the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria?
- Use of antibiotics in organic crop farming
- Use of antibiotics in children
- Use of antibiotics in CAFO livestock
In the U.S., four times as many antibiotics are used in livestock as are used in human medicine, and this is a major driving factor behind the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and drug-resistant disease in humans. Learn more.
- Use of antibiotics in human medicine in general
4 Which of the following has NOT been scientifically identified as a factor that can contribute to the development of anxiety?
- Chronic exposure to microwave radiation from wireless technologies such as cellphones
- Improper breathing
- Diets high in non.fiber carbs and processed foods
- Diets high in fats and fresh fruits and vegetables
Several factors can contribute to anxiety, including diets high in sugar and processed foods, toxic exposures, stress, improper breathing and microwave radiation exposure from wireless technologies. Recent research suggests you may also inherit a predisposition to anxiety from your parents. Learn more.
5 The mild flavor of this large, leafy cousin of garlic and onions is found in the bottom 6 inches of its tender leaf sheath.
When it’s been blanched and kept tender, you’ll find the bottom 6 inches of a leek’s leaf sheath to be the most edible and enjoyable part of the plant. Learn more.
6 Fever is a well-known part of the disease process. Barring dangerously high temperatures, the healthiest course of action when running a fever is to:
- Let the fever run its course without trying to lower it
While your first instinct might be to lower a fever, it actually plays a very important role in the healing process and should not be interfered with. Unless dangerously high, avoid lowering your fever and let it run its course. Learn more.
- Suppress the temperature to below 104 F using acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen
- Take an ice bath or use ice under the armpits until the temperature gets below 104 F
- Drink ice cold water until the temperature goes below 104 F